Monday, February 9, 2009

I am woman, hear me roar...


Overall I had a really good weekend. Friday night we did dinner/ game night with some friends of ours, Sat. we apartment hunted (unsuccessful) then went out for another friend’s birthday, Sunday I had a bridal shower to attend. The shower was fun, I always like to see what other brides receive and then adjust my own registry. But it was a certain conversation at the shower that is fueling the fire for this post.


I simply made a comment about how I love showers, both bridal and baby. The baby shower comment then prompted the question of “when” in regards to starting a family.

My Response: “ I would love to start as soon as possible, but we want to be smart about and will probably wait a little while so that we have some newlywed time to ourselves and are financial stable.”

Her Response: “Oh that’s smart, plus you probably want to grow some more in your career and not have to worry about taking chunks of time off.”

Me: “True, but I would really love to be a stay at home mom, right now my “career” is more like a job, I haven’t quite figured out what I want my career to be.”

Her: “A stay at home mom? ( giggles) well, there goes a 100 years of women’s rights down the tube!”


This conversation left me livid! The whole woman’s movement was not about us working or not, it was about us having a CHOICE. Every woman has a choice, to pick her own future. Whether it be a career, a husband, a partner, kids, or no kids; and so what if my CHOICE is a little “old fashion”, or whatever you may call it, it is what I want.

Regardless of if so my called dream comes true; (Husband, four kids, beautiful house, dog) it is still MY dream, so please, don’t judge. Maybe one day I will find a career/job that I am passionate about and I will be more excited to work, but right now I love the idea of being able to stay at home with my children when they are young. But again this is MY CHOICE, and I would never judge other woman for picking a different route.

That is the beauty of being a woman we can do whatever we want, but one thing we can’t do is turn on each other, so please just respect each other’s dreams.

2 comments:

  1. comments like the one you heard make me so mad. there is nothing wrong with wanting to stay home and take care of your children. '100 years of women's rights down the tube'?! i think not. it IS our right to choose a career or not. women's lib is not about staying home or working, it's about equal rights. she has it all wrong. do what's right for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhh don't even get me started on this. I am a lawyer who CHOOSES to stay home with my son. I am 100 times happier at home than I ever was at work. I find that most people who make these comments either one can't handle their own kids or two are so insecure that they need some "job" to make them feel important. There is nothing wrong with working, and their is nothing wrong with staying home. It's all about what works for you!

    ReplyDelete