Thursday, February 19, 2009

Damm Economy

It’s been a long week, a very stressful/eventful week.

Rewind to last Friday when my company issued layoffs! It was seriously the scariest thing I have ever experienced- picture this..

Typical Friday, everyone is super excited for the long weekend and is making their early morning coffee runs. At about 9am my whole team gets called into the conference room for a touch base, as I get up to follow my co workers into the meeting I realize that half my team isn’t behind me. Then just as we settle into our seats the boss man comes in and very bluntly explains that they have issued layoffs, and ( INSERT NAMES HERE) have been let go.

My reaction are- 1) WHEW! I’m safe. 2) We just cut our team in half! 3) This economy BLOWS!

So my weekend/week was a little unsettling and a bit of a wakeup call. The fiancé and I have luckily not been effected (yet) by the poor economy, but who knows if we are safe forever! Fiancé works in private equity and I dabble in Public Relations, both industries are getting hit hard- so who knows what tomorrow brings!?!?!?

In response to my near lay off experience on Friday the Fiancé and I discussed some very “grown up” planning for our future. We decided that while a move into Boston would be nice, it’s not necessary. Yes, our commute in longer than we like, but honestly paying more in rent rather than saving for a “house” is frivolous. We also planned on contributing more into our savings fund, and making some wedding adjustments.

It sucks that things are the way they are but I was always told if you have a plan set in place for the “worst scenario” then the “worst” will never happen.

1 comment: