Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Engagement Story


So today is kind of slow at work- we had a new intern start today, and she is starting a big a project for me- hence my down time. Rather than online shop (my number one weakness) I spent a good amount time blog reading and realized that one of my favorite things to read on “wedding blogs” is the engagement story. Which brings me to my point – I have not shared “our story” yet, so in my down time I have written it out, with incredible detail so everyone can “aw”


It was a Thursday- October 4th 2007 to be precise.


I remember waking up in our bed to find Fiancé already dressed and ready to go. He was wearing a suit and searching through the closet for a matching tie when I asked him about his fancy attire. He claimed that he had an “off site” meeting with a client and may be able to come home right after it was done.


Well this thrilled me, because at this point in time in our lives we were both working different jobs, not the ones we have now. I was employed by the devil and was working a crazy schedule, sometimes weekends, lots of overnights and never predictable. So, it just happened to be that this weekend I had off Thursday- Saturday and we had planned to get away- maybe camping up state. So the fact that he would be home early was awesome because then we could go shopping for the trip together and get an early start on the road.


Fiancé left and I proceeded to draft up “to buy” lists and research some sites on the internet. Then at around 1pm he called and said he was done and on his way home- he also mentioned that his parents put the boat in the water, due to the warm fall weather and asked if I wanted to go for a quick ride around the harbor before shopping.


I happily agreed- honestly I can never say no to a boat ride. I grew up on the water as did Fiancé so I have a sense of belonging out on a boat.


So, we got dressed and headed down the shore to the harbor. When we arrived I jumped right in and started to review with him my lists and discuss what we needed to buy that afternoon. Then I noticed he was acting funny- but thought nothing of it, just kept rambling.


Finally he asks- you hungry? Well of course I am, I am ALWAYS hungry. He replies good! and turns the corner into the “back river” part of the harbor. Then I see, set up on a dock a table and chairs, candles and a bucket of champagne. (No joke, seriously like just out of a movie). Immediately I am thrown off, my legs turn to Jell-O and my head feels foggy.


He parks the boat alongside the dock and helps me out- then we sit down. I make some comment about the lobster dinner that was displayed in front of me, but then he turns and says “I can’t wait a second longer”.


Down on one knee he looks into my eyes and pulls out the most beautiful ring I have ever seen then asks the most important question – “will you marry me”.


I naturally start to cry and I nod my head yes. Meanwhile in the house across from the dock, about 10 little girls run outside and start cheering.


See, the dock is owned by that house- and when Fiancé went down that morning to set everything up ( he never had a meeting, he took the day off) he explain to the owners that he was proposing, so the little girl invited some friends over to watch the magic happen first hand. It was sweet!


After the ring was placed on my left hand and the tears stop flowing, I totally forgot about the amazing dinner in front of me and called my family. Eventually I got off the phone and enjoyed some food- and lots of champagne.


He did an amazing job.

3 comments: