Friday, January 16, 2009

Dress = Stress

I have a dilemma and I am entirely open to suggestions, so please, let me know if you have ANY advice- here is the story..

Over the holidays the FiancĂ© and I went down to Virginia to spend Christmas with my family. The day after Christmas “the girls” decided to walk around the town and explore my parent’s new neighbored. My mom, sister and I found a dress shop opened so went in to try on some gowns. Well, it was there in that tiny country shop, that I fell in love with the most perfect wedding dress. After we all “ oo and ah-ed” I asked the sales woman how much? She originally gave me a price that was a little out of my budget, but said that she will check with the owner, because sometimes she will go lower. So we left the dress shop feeling pretty excited.

That night my sister and I jumped online and found a picture of the gown so I was able to circulate it to all my bridesmaids.

A couple of weeks go by and my mom finally hears back from the shop owner- she is willing to knock off a couple hundred making the dress “do-able”. While I was thrilled to hear the news, I still wanted to see if it was available for a better price, and some where a little closer. Remember- I’m a bride on a budget, so every penny counts.

More good news- I found the gown in MA for the perfect price! But they don’t have it in the store to try on, they would have to take my measurements and order it. I immediately called my Mom, she was trilled and said she would tell the VA shop to forget about the order.

Here is where trouble comes in; the VA shop tells my mom that the gown I fell in love with is from the designer’s private collection, therefore a better material, which is why it is marked at a higher price.

When mom calls to tell me this bit of information I get confused. I have been stalking the designer’s website for days, and the dress only comes in one material on the site and there is no “private collection”.

I proceed to call the MA shop where I found the bargain price and they agree with me- no private collection and the gown can only be ordered in one material!

Now I am worried, my mom and I are concerned because what if I have the wrong dress? I don’t want to order it, get it in six months and realize it’s the wrong dress, too late! Is the VA shop lady trying to scam me? Does the dress come in two material choices?

Here is the dress…. My Dress.

Designer is Maggie Sottero- gown name: Antonia Marie. Does anyone know if this gown also comes in silk? Or does anyone know where I can try it on again that is close to Boston!

I need to order soon!!!

5 comments:

  1. 1. Love the dress.
    2. I think she is trying to scam you. SCAM
    3. Can you call the designer directly to see about the "private collection?"
    3. Check with the MA store on return policy.
    4. Find a great tailor nearby, they can do last minute fixes in case the store is too far away. I had my wedding dress almost remade for about 70 bucKs.
    5. Wish I could be of more help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks YM! I'm still making some calls to try to sort things out but your right...i think i smell a scam as well. I shall keep the blog updated with my progress..

    XoXo
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL! I hope it all works out (does sound like a bit of a scam to me too!) and that you get your dream dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't wait for you to provide me with this dress as my something borrowed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie's Antonia dress does come in two different materials, but both are Taffeta. Antonia Marie is Empress Taffeta and is cheaper. Antonia is French Taffeta, and is more expensive. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete