Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Story About Save-the-Dates...

First off- I got a call today saying that my Save the Date cards were ready to go and should go out this weekend! Yea :)

But it wasn't all smooth sailing-wedding crisis numeral uno involved my beautiful save the date cards. In order to fully grasp the horror of the story I am about to share- let me explain the importance of this stationary.

I believe that the save the card is essential, especially in my case- where 50% of our guests are traveling to Mass. for the event. It is the very first piece of stationary people will receive regarding the special day, and therefore sets the tone. This one- tiny, little piece of paper will be hanging on the refrigerator of all my guests for the next 8 months! People will view this work of art every time they go to get something to eat! Bottom line- I was very careful selecting my cards, and LOVED my original design, complete with ribbon I hand picked from AC Moore.

Now lets get to the story...

My save the dates cards were delivered to me just after Thanksgiving and were slated to be mailed right after the new year, therefore avoiding the Christmas card rush. They were perfect! wrapped in tissue paper and tied together with a baby blue ribbon. So I took them home and placed the box next to my mail/bills basket. Couple of weeks go by and the apartment has quickly transformed into Santa's workshop; wrapping paper everything, boxes stacked high and tape stuck to just about every surface.

It was the Monday before Christmas and the Fiance and I were traveling to my parents for the holiday. He decided it was time to clean up the disaster around the tree, so before he headed out for some last minute shopping, he collected everything in site. So with trash in hand I gave him a quick kiss good bye and started to pack for our trip, then I headed out for a holiday manicure. When I returned home I did a quick scan of the living room and realized the box of save the dates were moved. So I searched- bedroom? no.-kitchen? no.-closet? no.- They were gone. Frantically I call the Fiance demanding to know where he placed the cards... his response "uh oh, I wonder if they got mixed in with the trash".

I proceeded to sprint to the dumpster, only to find they it was already emptied. Then in a panic I ran to the leasing office, burst through the door and asked where the garbage goes to next! " hell, I don't care, I will dumper dive if I have to". But the answer was " sorry sweetie but they are long gone".

Heartbroken, and sad I did what any girl would do.... went home opened a container of ice cream and called my best friend.

Fast Forward through the holidays, the Fiance did good. He felt awful, returned home with flowers in hand and already called our invitation lady ( who is a SAINT). She agreed to reprint through the holidays and will address free of charge, She was even able to hunt down my ribbon. I now refer to her as my wedding angel <3>

XoXo
BB

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Blog Land Boston Bride! Great to have you here... and nobody loves a good wedding more than me! Its our five year anniversary this May and Other Half and I can still remember every special detail! Its such a magical time - you'll even look back and laugh at the stressful bits... in time!
    You're in good company with Yummy Mummy - she is my missing style sister across the pond!
    I look forward to reading your updates. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much- still navigating my way around the blogworld but thus far i LOVE it!

    Happy reading/blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute story! Stuff like this happens to everyone! What a great company to re-do them! Post a picture I would love to see them! I agree that save the dates totally set the tone of the wedding.
    xoxo
    ym

    ReplyDelete